Doctoral Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project – Pacto Bioeconomia Azul- Vertical Algas – sub-project Feeds
Project Ref.: C644915664- 00000026
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BD/04/2023
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Doctoral Fellowship (Bolsa de Doutoramento) for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee status, in the scientific field of Aquaculture Nutrition within the research project ref. C644915664-00000026 – PRR: Pacto Bioeconomia Azul – Vertical Algas (WP 5 – subprojeto Feeds) funded by PRR Plano de Recuperação e Resiliência under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The PRR: Pacto Bioeconomia Azul- Vertical Algas (WP5 – sub-project Feeds) project aims to provide the national Algae sector with the necessary capacity and competitive advantages, based on the new product and process innovations, to compete in the global markets and elevate the national brand in the European Blue Bioeconomy
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
- Determine which are the biomasses/ and or extracts of micro- and macroalgae that promote the maximum growth and quality of larvae and juveniles;
- Develop functional microdiets for larvae and postlarvae that improve survival growth and resistance to pathogens.
- Disseminate the results in specialized journals in the area, as well as at international conferences.
- General support and participation in the daily activities of the Aquaculture Research Group where the project is located (CCMAR).
- Contribute to administrative work related to the Project.
Doctor Sofia Engrola coordinator of the project at CCMAR and researcher at CCMAR and Doctor Ana Teresa Gonçalves researcher at GreenCoLab.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal) and at GreenCoLab (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal).
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- MSc in Aquaculture.
- Basic skills in marine fish rearing.
- Basic skills with data analysis, including statistics.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English from a general and scientific perspective.
- Initiative and the capacity to work independently and in a team when required.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- Proven experience in rearing aquaculture marine fish – 30%;
- Proven experience in molecular biology techniques – 20%;
- Work experience in biochemical analyses of fish nutritional indicators – 15%;
- Knowledge of informatics and statistical analysis. – 10%
- English knowledge assessed through the structure and content of the motivation letter (the motivation letter must be written in English) as well as state of the art of the project topic – 15%;
- Applicant merit (Published peer-review papers in international SCI indexed journals and/or international conference presentations – poster or oral). – 10%
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. In case it takes place, the interview aims to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate according to the list above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 12 months, expected to start from April 2023 eventually renewed for additional periods up to the end of the research project or the maximum of 4 years. The fellowship must be carried out full-time (exclusive regime), according to the FCT Fellowship Rules (RBI) and the CCMAR fellowship rules (see here), which are based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1199.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology.
Application period: from 09th of March to 23rd of March 2023 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
- a motivation letter (in English);
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English);
- a copy of the Master’s degree certificate;
- the email contact of up to 3 referees.
- upload a document with a state of the art on the PhD topic “Algaefeeds: a strategy to improve fish resilience in Aquaculture”, in English, with a maximum of 500 words plus bibliography (more
details about the subject can be found at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/en/project/prr-pacto-bioeconomia-azul-vertical…).
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Doctor Sofia Engrola, coordinator of the project at CCMAR and researcher at CCMAR (president of the jury); Doctor Rita Teodósio, researcher at CCMAR (member); Doctor Cláudia Aragão researcher at UAlg/CCMAR (member); Doctor Ana Teresa Gonçalves, researcher at GreenCoLab (member) and Doctor Wilson Pinto, researcher at SPAROS Lda. (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
– proof of the enrolment (Comprovativo de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a doctoral degree.
– Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
– Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
– Account Number – IBAN
– Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
Criteria 1 – Compliance with the activity plan (30%)
Criteria 2 – Technical and scientific performance (30%)
Criteria 3 – Development of scientific activity reports and participation in knowledge transfer activities (30%)
Criteria 4 – Responsibility and assiduity (10%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, March the 6th 2023